Why give birth at University of Colorado Hospital?
Labor and delivery is one of the most important medical events in your life. We want you to rest wholly assured that you and your baby are in the best possible hands with the experienced team of physicians and caregivers at University of Colorado Hospital — ranked the #1 hospital in Colorado by The US News and World Report.
Here is an overview of our services, birthing options and experienced team that will give you the labor and delivery experience you want and the care you need.
The labor & delivery experience you want
- Vaginal delivery after cesarean (VBAC), even after one or even two previous cesarean deliveries. CU is the only facility in Denver that will consider vaginal birth after two previous C-sections.
- No pressure C-sections. We make every effort to avoid cesarean section unless medically necessary. If you have a C-section, we give every patient the option to view the birth using a clear drape during the delivery portion.
- Un-medicated delivery options (birth balls, birth chairs, etc.) in a well-equipped, supportive environment.
- Option for hydrotherapy (laboring in the bathtub).
- Wide variety of pain management options including “walking epidural.” University of Colorado is also the only facility in the area to offer nitrous oxide as an alternate pain management option during birthing.
- Culturally sensitive birthing plans. We understand that having a baby is laden with cultural beliefs and are committed to understanding your birth wishes.
Private and comforting after-delivery (postpartum) care
- We encourage skin-to-skin bonding after vaginal and cesarean delivery.
- Infant procedures are performed at the bedside, so the baby won’t be “whisked away” following birth.
- Breastfeeding support and lactation consultants are available on-site.
- We are committed to patient education beyond delivery including the only patient emotional support clinic for postpartum and perinatal mood disorders. Learn more.
- Free valet parking for patients.
- Private labor rooms and postpartum (post-delivery) rooms, with a place for your partner to sleep, on-demand dining and all care provided in your room by your medical team.
- All patients have the option to upgrade to a private suite. These are hotel-quality rooms with king-sized beds, living room space for family and access to an on-demand private chef.
The comprehensive care team you & your baby need
- 24 hour in-house obstetric team, with 100-percent university trained providers, including experts in maternal and fetal medicine.
- 24 hour in-house anesthesiology team. Our nationally-renown anesthesiologists work exclusively in obstetrics, so their skills are specialized just for birthing needs.
- 24 hour in-house pediatric team.
- The UC OB-GYN team collaborates very closely with high-risk OB specialists at Children’s Hospital and the Fetal Surgery Unit. An entire team is ready to step in if you experience any complications. There is an on-site level IV neonatal intensive care unit should your little one require special care.
- For those desiring a smaller, private practice feel, including the opportunity to get to know your doctors before you deliver, CU offers a Private Practice Group.